Greetings from windy (and rainy, and gloomy) Wellington, the capital of New Zealand!
It reminds me of parts Ottawa, Halifax and Middle Earth (haha they filmed most of Lord of the Rings in and around this area). I've had another eventful few days.
First off - I was to go skydiving a few days back in Taupo (home the cheapest skydive in the Southern Hemisphere) but alas it was cancelled two days in a row due to bad weather. Not one to be discouraged however, I set off yesterday morning for a kayaking adventure of epic (and painful) proportions.
If I haven't mentioned before, New Zealand clearly thrives on their tourism industry (I believe it's their main source of dollars) and so they have these amazing places everywhere called "iSite" centres. You basically go in, talk to an agent (for free) and they help you book everything and anything you could possibly want to do in the area you're in.
My lovely iSite agent in Taupo (who had a Kiwi accent but told me she was from Montreal) helped me book a half day kayaking trip on Lake Taupo, the biggest lake in the country. She set me up with this lovely older Brit named Brian, who runs this small business taking eager tourists like myself out to the Maori carvings in the middle of the lake.
He picked me up in his truck (6 kayaks in two behind, and two British tourists who were also joining us) and we had a crash course in the basics. Luckily, we were in double kayaks so anytime I felt the need to rest my twiggy arms, Brian took over. The paddle out there took about an hour and a half, and it was beyond worth it. The main carving must be 40 feet high and depicts the face of a Maori god, said to be there in order to protect all people from drowning in the lake. The Maori culture is so fascinating, and reminds me so much of Canadian Aboriginal myth that I think I will start reading more about it when I get back home.
Anyway, lovely Brian docked us on a rock face for lunch of sandwiches and tea, and we had a great chat about Canada, Britain and New Zealand. The other tourists were great also (unlike some of the foreigners I've met)...and as we paddled back I felt my nose starting to crisp.
Brian gave me a cd filled with photos he took along the way, and I was off to drive to Wellington.
Ah Wellington. First of all - the drive is treacherous. It's like driving to Whistler, only the roads wind ALL the time, and drivers move at impossible (and frightening) speeds around the corners. There are signs posted everywhere (the have a high, high traffic fatality rate here) my favourite being "Be Patient, Don't Be a Patient" haha.
Anyway, I drove through the desert and the land of Frodo and Bilbo, and finally arrived in Wellington. The streets are all tall and impossibly steep (hence the Halifax comparison) and of course the guesthouse I'm staying at is on the steepest hill of them all.
The woman who owns the guesthouse (called The Mermaid...it's a women's only place) is named Francesca...and she's a hippy lesbian in her mid-50's who is quite quirky. Upon arriving I was given complimentary wine, and told to go and see Meagan at some restaurant who was "also a lesbian and likes to meet beautiful travellers." Haha I don't think I'll venture out to the restaurant, but Meagan will survive.
The house that I'm staying is easily one of the most beautiful houses I've ever seen. I'd peg it to around a 100 years old...and it is large, beautifully imposing, and must cose a fortune. Francesca and her partner (and their wayward cat) live next door in an equally impressive, albeit more modern five story house. I will take some pictures before leaving to prove my point on this. Kelly if you're reading this - this is exactly the kind of house we MUST live in one day. Haha.
Today I've been walking about (as I find myself doing a lot here) and I went to the national museum "Te Papa" which is like the Museum of Civilization, only newer and with FREE admission. I got some great photos and now I'm here.
As is obvious...I was in a writing mood today, but I should be pegging off now so that I can find a place to stay tomorrow night (I'm leaving Welly in the morning) on my way back to Auckland to meet up with Janina, Madeline's roommate on April 2nd.
I'm glad to hear that the weather appears to be improving in my beloved hometown...and that everyone seems to be doing well. I'm tanned, sick of fast food, missing my girlfriend horribly...but having a grand adventure so far indeed.
I will try to check back in before heading off on my 9 day camping trip on April 4th.
So long from Aoetoeroa (Maori for New Zealand) for now,
xo
Renee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment