I'm baaack...
...and finally found a great little internet cafe that I can stay at for a while today. So, I'm now in Taupo...which is about a four hour drive south from Auckland. Ah yes...driving...I picked up my rental car two days ago and was terrified. Luckily, the GPS helped me with the jitters, and I just had to keep chanting LEFT, LEFT, LEFT to myself while driving. Once I got onto the State highway things got a lot better...the traffic is mild at best, and there was some truly amazing scenery.
I've decided that, at least in a country like this, driving is the best way to go. You have the freedom to go anywhere, stop anywhere...including in my case at a McDonalds which had a parking lot full of giant peacock looking birds that made me almost shit myself haha.
I drove from Auckland to Rotorua, a Maori town in the central area of the North Island. First of all - they don't call it "Rottenrua" for nothing...it smells like sulphur (aka baby poop and eggs, mixed with a bit of farts) due to all of the geothermal activity in the area. I checked into my hostel, and was NOT impressed. Now...you can't expect hostels to be that great...or even alright...but this one was yucky. First of all I was stuck in a room with two British guys that were almost mutes...second of all the washroom had no soap, and third of all there was a bar next door pumping music and drinks into drunken idiots all night. Needless to say, I only stayed one night and then cancelled my second.
Boy, was I glad I did. I drove down to Taupo the next day (only about an hour and a bit from Rotorua)...and checked into my beautiful, double bed hostel room with my own tv and washroom. For those of you thinking of travelling and backpacking - every once in a while give yourself a luxury like this...you won't regret it.
On the way to Taupo yesterday I stopped and did a scenic walk up through thick rainforest. I was constantly creeped out because I was alone, there was weird noises, and I felt like I was in Jurassic Park. I did get to the top though and the view was outstanding. Then I stopped in at Wai-O-Tapu Geothermal Park...a really cool place that has miles and miles of gushing geysers, natural mud pools and other naturally colourful outdoor stuff. I was there about 2.5 hours and it was totally worth the 20 bucks to get in. Madeline, you would have loved it!!!
It has been a bit more overcast and rainy in the past few days...but the weather is still not cold (never really below 18 degrees celcius). Tomorrow I've booked a 3 hour kayak to these Maori carvings that were done in the side of a mountain...it should be amazing. Right now I'm waiting on a 2pm appointment to do something a little daring...I won't write about it until after it happens :)
Well that is about all I feel like writing right now haha...but I am having a great time, having the car is grand...and I'm looking forward to driving down to Wellington tomorrow for my two-day stay at a Bed and Breakfast with the two ladies who run it.
I will try to update again soon...hope spring has finally sprung in Canada...it's weird here the leaves are falling off the trees.
Keep on living it up,
Renee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
you can start to see the edges of muddied lawns now! hope springs eternal!
braced for the entry about the exciting thing you're going to do ^__^
Post a Comment